What is Augmented Reality? (Some weird stuff?)
Nah, it is actually elements that are augmented (or supplemented) by computer assisted/generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. In a more layman term, AR is to overlay the current reality with a separate reality through a computer screen or mobile screen or glasses. How is this different from virtual reality? Simple, virtual reality replaces the real world with a simulated one such as demonstrated by games. While augmented reality is usually overlaying digital content in real-time and in relation with the environment elements such as sport scores on TV during a live match.
How many types of display is there available or soon to available?
Google Glass must be the more famous display unit since its first announced on May 2012 to show how it can be used to capture video. There are other display units available in the markets, some of the main stream ones are:
- Mobile – viewing AR with mobile apps (Playme AR apps).
- Glasses – Full AR capability such as Epson, Meta space glasses.
- Head-mounted – augmented paired together with a headset or helmet. More fixed used by military and polices.
- HUD – only augmenting a small part such as google glasses.
- Contact Lenses (Coming Soon – In Development for US Military uses)
So now you know a little of augmented reality and how it can be view using what devices and display units used to view the AR experiences. Coming soon is the types of possible AR implementation. Have a nice day!